|Blueberry Yogurt Muffins|
Perhaps you have some homemade yogurt you'd like to use? This is a recipe for delicious blueberry muffins with a twist. "What's the twist?" you ask.
First we can use some old-fashioned oatmeal in the mix, ground fine in a food processor. Next we can add some of that yummy, fresh yogurt we made in our crock post this week. And finally, how about adding a little bit of lemon zest to brighten the flavor?
Doesn't that sound good? Well then, here you go. This is THE blueberry muffin recipe for you to make this weekend.
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease your muffin pan.
Combine the dry ingredients: oatmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar and granulated sugar. In a small bowl combine the yogurt, egg whites, milk, oil and lemon zest.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once. Stir just to combine. Fold in the blueberries. If you are using frozen blueberries you'll want to work quickly and gently so as not to break up the blueberries and turn your batter blue.
|Add Wet Ingredients|
Scoop the batter into your muffin pan. Pop these babies into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove the muffins to cool on a wire rack.
|Cool Muffins On A Wire Rack|
Some Helpful Tips
1. Don't use cupcake papers to line your muffin pans. This recipe has very little fat and as a result the muffins will stick to the paper.
2. These muffins will be better if eaten the same day you make them because of the low fat content. At 138 calories per muffin you can enjoy them without guilt.
3. Keep egg whites individually packaged in your freezer for recipes such as this. When a recipe calls for egg yolks just freeze the extra egg whites in snack-sized zip closure bags.
Click the link for the printable Blueberry Yogurt Muffin Recipe.
Delicious and good for you! You can't beat that with a stick!
Want another breakfast idea for using your plain yogurt? Substitute yogurt in place of the soy milk in this delicious Breakfast Smoothie.