When you crave the flavors of the Southwest take out your slow cooker for an easy to prepare, satisfying Southwest chicken dinner. This recipe will feed and army, so if you don't have an army to feed you will have left overs that can be used for another meal or two. For taco night place the shredded chicken on top of shredded lettuce in soft tortillas and top with the vegetable mixture. You can also easily turn the left overs into a delicious soup by adding six to eight cups of chicken broth.
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
- 4- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 colorful bell pepper, red, yellow or orange, chopped
- 1 lb package frozen corn kernels
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- One handful chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
- Garnishes: chopped avocado, red onion, sliced black peppers, shredded cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Layer all the vegetables and diced tomatoes in your six quart slow cooker. Mix together the spices. Season the chicken breasts generously with the spice mixture. Stir the remaining spice mixture into the vegetables. Nestle the seasoned chicken breasts into the vegetable mixture. Cook on the high setting for 4 to 6 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily.
Serve over cooked brown rice and topped with the garnishes of your choice.
Get the printable slow cooker southwest chicken recipe.