I started with some research. I reviewed many, many recipes for kale chips and learned some important things to consider:
- You only need three ingredients: kale, oil and seasoning. Choose whatever seasoning you think you will like
- The kale should be washed well and completely dry
- The temperature and timing for baking the kale are key. Too hot of an oven and too long will produce burnt ash. Too low of a temp and too short of a baking time will produce limp chips
|Kale Chip Ingredients|
- 4-5 large leaves, center stem removed
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Remove the center stem on the kale and cut each leaf into bite size pieces. Was and thoroughly dry the kale. If you have a salad spinner, now is the time to use it. It will help to get your kale bone dry.
In a large bowl, toss the kale with the olive oil and seasoned salt. Get in there with your hands to make sure each piece of kale is coated with the oil and the seasoned salt. Go ahead and taste a piece or two of the kale. Is is seasoned enough for your taste? If not, add a bit more seasoned salt.
|Toss Well with Oil and Seasoning|
Spread the kale in a single layer on a baking sheet and place on the center rack of your oven. Set the timer for 20 minutes and walk away.
|Cook in a Single Layer|
You don't want to touch the kale while it is cooking. At 15 minutes I started to taste the kale for crispiness. I wanted to be sure it didn't over cook. 20 minutes was perfect timing for my oven, but your oven may be different. You want to hear a crunch when you bite into your kale chips.
|The Kale Will Shrink and Crisp|
|Kale Chips Ready to Eat|
My verdict? My kale chips cooked up to be crisp and flavorful. Hubby tasted them and said they tasted a bit like oven roasted Brussels spouts. In my mind it is a similar concept, but a different flavor. Will I make kale chips a regular part of my menu? No. I think of this recipe as a novelty item for those times when I find myself with extra kale on hand.
Are you curious about kale chips? Get the printable kale chips recipe by clicking the link.