In celebration of today's vernal equinox and tomorrow being the first full day of spring, let's think about the reasons we love spring. I can think of ten...
Ten Reasons to Love Spring
1. The snow has finally melted from my front yard and it didn't take until April to happen (like I predicted). It only took until March 18th.
|Before-Snow March 9th|
After-No Snow March 18th
|Crocus in Bloom|
|Maple Tree Setting Buds|
6. The birds have returned. I awaken to the songs of the birds and can hear them calling to one another throughout the day.
7. I worked in my garden yesterday and noticed the earthworms are migrating from below the frost line to the upper layers of soil. The average temperature of the soil must be above 36 degrees for this to happen. The return of robins to the north coincides with the upward migration of the worms. Cool how nature works, huh?
8. The sap is flowing and trees are being tapped for maple syrup. Real maple syrup on pancakes and waffles...yummy!
|A Local Tree Being Tapped for Maple Syrup|
9. The ospreys have returned to Rhode Island. The osprey is a large bird of prey with a wingspan up to three feet. They nest near large bodies of water to have easy access to fish, their main food source. They are monogamous birds, often returning to the same nest year after year. I caught these two beauties this week in their nest by the ocean. Southern New England is a breeding ground for these birds.
|Two Ospreys Nesting|
10. The daytime temperature has warmed and that makes walking on the beach more comfortable. A walk on the beach at 64 degrees is much more pleasant than at 19 degrees!
Is it looking and feeling like spring where you are? Can you think of ten reasons you love this time of year? One thing I know for sure is that I won't be missing winter.
Goodbye, winter. I am not sorry to see you go!